Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Great Singles That Never Were... Simon Curtis' "RΔ"




     It is bizarre when you realize how fast time is flying by you. A year ago I remember purchasing Simon Curtis’ sophomore album, RΔ, shaking with excitement as I did when I downloaded his first effort for free the year prior. The record, which did not have any label support or promotion, was a big success, charting on the iTunes Top 100 album chart and receiving rave reviews from music blogs, including myself. The album sadly only saw the release of two singles and then Simon ran into some funding problems and it seems he forgot about the excellent record. I was excited to see music videos and a third single. If things would have been different, what would have been the perfect third offering?

     “Superhero” was the album’s lead single, a decent effort, but it honestly did not interest me too much. “Flesh” however, the second single, was an overly sexual, pop phenomenon that had me feeling dirty just for listening. If the album would have had a third single, I would have gone with “Soul 4 Sale”, my favorite track, if I was Simon. With the eerie intro transforming into an all-out orchestra, the track ad its fast paced progression was perfect for an afternoon run or a quick bedroom dance routine at night. Simon showcased some “rapping” skills on his first effort, but perfected them here. The chorus sounds like it is from a boy band and true perfection.
     However, the main reason I fell in love with “Soul 4 Sale” was the writing. Lyrics referencing paparazzi and kamikazes were my favorite of 2011, and still hold a powerful punch in my daily musical intake in 2012. Simon goes through the track with ease while showing off an impressive vocal range. The song would have been the perfect next step for the record, it has everything. A little more than halfway through the track changes once again. The heavy production disappears and Simon is telling listeners to sign on the dotted line and make a deal with the devil in blood. Fearless, dark, sexy, the perfect pop single.


     Maybe “Soul 4 Sale” would not have worked extremely well on radio, but my second choice definitely would have. “Enemy” contains a loud, heavy beat but the subject matter is a little more serious. I related to the song at the time of its release because I was going through some problem with a good friend of mine. Yes, I know the song is about a more intimate relationship in Simon’s life but the lyrics still spoke to me. Curtis’ vocals do sound more enhanced, but I forgave that aspect as soon as I was shouting the words out after the second listen. It is an earworm of a song, totally single worthy.
     The Never Ending Story intro was perfect, the progression worked and it fit in with the vibe that the rest of the track list was giving off. The message is kind of sad, I’m sorry if any of you have experienced heartache, but I am glad Simon did because his angst created one hell of a gem. Just when I thought I had figured the whole song out, the entire thing dramatically changes without notice. After a robotic, demonic chant, the track heads straight to the 90s dance floor in one of the best breakdowns of 2011. The song was a great addition to the album and could have been a big hit if released.



     The album did feature many other single options. “Pit of Vipers”, a song sent to Britney Spears for inclusion on Femme Fatale, is a bright moment for Simon and would have led to an amazing, creative, dark music video. Everyone deals with backstabbing friends, so it would have related with millions. “D.T.M” was a long shot, I did not like how repetitive it was when I first listened to it, but it did grow on me and is one of my favorite Curtis moments. It is also my ringtone for many people in my contact list. Don’t tell anyone though!  

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar